Friday, July 15, 2011

"What I'm Reading" Wednesday (A little late!)

Ok, so I am a little late for my Wednesday edition of "What I'm Reading". Know why? Because I have been so busy READING! Oh my goodness! I love to read, and I have been reading some good stuff lately!

First of all, I have to admit that I have abandoned Fergi. I just can't read anymore of her book. It was boring to me, and I just felt so bad for her for her life. What a mess she has to straighten out. I hope she finds herself and can be happy once and for all. Someone tell me when she does. I'll take your word for it. :-)

Ok, on to what I have not been able to put down. I have read 2 books in the last 4 days. First, I finally decided that it was time to start reading the Hunger Games trilogy. I am probably the last librarian in Keller ISD to read them, but I have this thing during the school year-I feel like if I am spending time reading books, they need to be the books that my students are reading or books that might be appropriate for my students. So...I have put off reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. These books are definitely NOT for elementary school age children.
        
I really don't know how to tell you what this book is about without you thinking, "Oh my goodness! You're sick! How can you read that?" But, I'm here to tell ya, even though the plot of this book is a little sick and twisted, I could NOT put it down! Here's what it is basically about:

Katniss is a 16 year old girl who lives in "District 12". This is a place that is left over after the great rebellion of the United States sometime off in the future. Every year, a boy and a girl from each "district" are chosen to participate in the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games are like Survivor gone bad. The "games" are televised, and all 24 "tributes" (boys and girls chosen from each district) must fight to the death. Only one person may remain alive, and that person will be the winner of the games. The book begins about the time that Katniss finds herself as one of the 2 tributes that will represent District 12 in the upcoming Hunger Games.

I don't want to give anything away if you haven't read the book, but I can almost guarantee it will suck you in and you won't be able to stop reading until you are finished. Then, you will want to read the second book: Catching Fire.

This is what I am going to start reading as soon as I finish this blog! :-)

Ok, the second book I have read in the last couple of days is: 

This is a memoir written by Jaycee Dugard-the girl that was abducted in 1991 and then finally rescued in 2008. She was kidnapped by a couple- Phillip and Nancy Garrido- on her way to school one day in South Lake Tahoe, CA. She was only 11 when they took her. Jaycee lived with the Garrido's for 18 years and endured horrendous abuse and treatment. She even had 2 children with Phillip. This book is a very sad, touching, and brave account of what all Jaycee went through and survived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment